Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dutch Apple Pie

I've been wanting to make this pie for a few days now. My friend Lisa had given me a whole box full of golden delicious apples and I need to use them all up before they go bad!

I know the recipe calls or only 3 apples, but I ended up using 5 (and not increasing any other ingredient). It made for a very tall apple pie!

IMG_0798
The ingredients I used to make this awesome pie.

IMG_0800
Combine the flour, brown sugar, melted butter and oats in a bowl for the topping. Reserve 1 cup for the top of the pie!

IMG_0801
Spread the remaining topping in a 9 inch pie plate to form the 'crust'.

IMG_0802
Stir the cornstarch, water and sugar until smooth and bring to a boil.

IMG_0805
Stir constantly and cook until thickened. I know you can't really tell it's thick, but it is.

IMG_0806
My super mountain of apples! I know, I shouldn't have added so many. I thought it might end up being a big melted disaster when I saw how big it was. I need to invest in a deep dish pie plate.

IMG_0808
Sprinkle the topping evenly (as much as possible) on top of the apples, and set it in the oven to bake for 45 minutes!

IMG_0809
Can I wait an hour for this to cool down? We'll see. I just wish I had some vanilla ice cream!

Dutch Apple Pie
Recipe by: The Cutting Edge of Ordinary

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup oats
3/4 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
1 1/4 cups cold water
3 cups diced, peeled apples (about 3 medium)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla


$.26
$.20
$.35
$1.11
$.20
Staple Item
Staple Item
$1.94
Staple Item
Staple Item


If an item says it's a staple item that means that I used so little of the full product that it wasn't worth the math to figure out each teaspoon, etc. Haha.

Total Price of Meal: $4.06

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, oats and butter. Set aside 1 cup for the topping. Press the remaining mixture into an ungreased 9 inch pie plate. Make sure to push the mixture up the sides too.

3. Combine the sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook and constantly stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, cinnamon and apples.

4. Pour into pie crust, sprinkle top with reserved topping mixture. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment